Pages

My photo
Saya kuyu for almost all the time. The name is, Ibtisam Hadi. twenty-two. A full-time student. more Qs? http://ask.fm/IbtisamH

Friday 3 April 2015

Autism Awareness; Abang Lan


I rarely talk about this special kid. Yeah, kid. I’ll always call him budak. He will forever be a kid to me. A kid that needs people to always look out for him.
Abang Lan or Muhammad Idlan , was born in February 1996, 3 years after I was born. When he was a child, he barely speak a word. The only sounds that came out from his mouth was “keng, keng” it sounded like that to me, to us. I didn’t know why but it was hard for him to learn to walk, to speak like other kids. He sometimes cried for no reasons, he got cranky for no reason, he hated crowded place. I didn’t understand why he was behaving like that. All I knew that he was a little troublemaker. Back then, a 4 or 5 year-old kid like me, didn’t understand that her little brother is diagnosed with Autism.
When I was 7, Irfan was born, thus the name Abang Lan because Ibu wanted him to get used being Abang to our cute little hamster (read; Irfan).  At some point in my life, there are few times when I wish he was just a normal kid, so that we could go to school together, like my other friends and their siblings.  
I was 11 when we moved to other school and for the first time we were in the same school. My school back then had this kind of rule; where we had to line up, in front of the classes before we were allowed to safely leave the school.(I still think this rule is ridiculous) So, I had the obligation to pick him up from his class every day after my class was done and only after that we could line up.  I hated to wait for him putting on his shoes and green-coloured bag. Because by the time he was done, most of other kids and my classmates had left, leaving us behind in the line. 
One day, somehow when we were lining up, Abang Lan got separated from me and I lost the sight of him. I searched for him by the time I got to the school gate. I was worried, I looked around and I couldn’t even see him with his green school bag. I began to panic; I thought Abang Lan got lost somewhere. I thought, it was my fault for not being able to look after him. By the time I got to the car in which Ayah had always waited for us, I almost cried.
Ayah was like, “Kenapa ni?”
“Abang Lan hilang.”
“Ni Lan da masuk kereta.”
Only then, I saw Abang Lan inside the car, he had no idea I was worried, looking for him. When I think back, it was funny because I freaked out thinking he was missing.  But only then I realized that I care and love this kid more than I ever imagined.
Abang Lan is 19 now and yet he can’t do every simple things like; tying his own shoelaces, buttoning his shirt, write or read, he don’t understand simple instruction like; close the door, switch on the fan. But he knows most of the cars on the road (he can’t read, yet he knows. I don’t know how 0.0), he has a good memory and other little things that make me proud of him. He's a bless, I am just grateful of what he is. I am thankful that he’s a healthy, big boy now.
I have a dream and hope of always being there for him whenever he needs me because I know he needs someone to depend on. Abang Lan is special and a dear brother to me. He is Autistic.

May Allah bless him with good health. Always. 



Thank you fr reading.feel free to leave comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment